Saturday, February 26, 2011

Definitive Pricing Information for Classic Video Games & Systems

I was lucky in doing my pricing research to stumble upon an invaluable resource. Checking for pricing information one title at a time could become extremely time consuming, which could make someone want to maybe rely on the other services out there online even though the money might not be as good. eBay and Craig's List are HUGE, and trying to search them can be daunting. Luckily, someone has already done my homework for me...


Check out the VGPC!
While scouring the auction websites for pricing information, I performed a search for classic video game pricing and found a site called the Video Game Price Charts. At their website, they have created an algorithm that searches the popular shopping sites like eBay, Amazon.com, Half.com, as well as other online used video game dealers, and computes an average of what items are selling for. They also offer the opportunity to search by title or by system, look at recent and historical selling activity on an item, and help a possible seller verify what they might have and what they could sell it for. Buyers could also see what going rates on certain titles are so they don't get burned too bad by online dealers. Their site also has an extremely thorough explanation of how they arrive at the values in their price guide (which is downloadable, updated weekly) as well as historical information on how they have updated their software over the past few years. Guides are available for both retailers and collectors. Check out my podcast below demonstrating how to use their online database:



Now what?
I'm going to take ClassicPlastic.net's advice and create a Craig's List ad to sell my old games. Using the VGPC as a pricing guide, and given the fact that several of my items to sell will have original boxes and manuals, I will compile what I believe is a reasonable price for all my items. I will be trying to sell as lots by system with games, but offer the opportunity to buy individual items. Will I get the $1800 needed to buy all my items new? No, and I'm not expecting that. But I think between $500 and $600 is attainable, and I would be quite happy with that. My next post will show my results, hopefully as successful.

2 comments:

  1. This looks great -- Now, do I get that $100 discount you promised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Mike, not unless you plan on spending a grand or more... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Have a question or an idea? Feel free to comment!