Thursday, January 27, 2011

Can I Sell My Classic Video Games?

My nephews, ages 2 to 10, all think I'm the greatest video game player ever.  Before their parents actually bit the bullet and bought the family a Playstation 3, the only thing they had ever known was my old Atari, Nintendo and Super Nintendo.  I, quite frankly, never moved beyond the SNES, mostly because there were too many buttons on the controllers for the newer systems.  Call me old fashioned...


Why am I starting this blog?
Well, I'm trying to figure out how to convert my old video game collection, all still in perfect working order and very clean, and in some cases I saved the original boxes and manuals, into something I can sell for real money.  I know everything is used and in some cases worn, and no, I will not get what I actually paid for them in some cases, but you never know what something might be worth to someone else, and maybe I can get lucky!

Why do I want to sell my old stuff?
It started two Christmases ago when my wife bought me a Wii.  She knew I was passionate about older games but wanted something that we could both do together - old games for me, and new games for her (and me, too!).  I liked the idea that Nintendo created the downloading feature so I could have my old games on the new system and eliminate having two separate TV's with games on both of them (bringing the gaming out into the family room for everyone, so to speak...), but I didn't like the fact that I would have to pay $5 or more per game to download a title from the Nintendo WiiShop Channel - I already own these games in cartridge form, why should I have to pay for them again?

That's when I started looking into Homebrew, a UNIX based "hack" into the Wii's operating system that allows for non-Nintendo software to be installed on a Wii.  It shows up as the "Homebrew Channel" in the Wii interface.  When opened it provides a menu to select the third party software you have downloaded to be used.  There are a ton of emulators, or software programs designed to create an environment to run older video game systems so that classic game files could be downloaded and played.

I then researched the procedure (check out the WiiBrew wiki for more information), and decided to install the Homebrew Channel on my Wii along with emulators for the Atari 2600, NES, and SNES so I could have all my old games available to play on my new system.  Now the problem is, I have my old video game cartridge systems along with about 100 games from around 1978 to 1994, all in still perfect working order, but collecting dust.
 
WARNING: Installing Homebrew technically voids your warranty with Nintendo and can be potentially dangerous to your Wii.  Nintendo will not repair or give technical support to a machine with Homebrew installed on it, and updating the Wii's operating system will uninstall any non-Nintendo software like Homebrew and might possibly "brick" the Wii unit, making it useless and unfixable.

What's it all about?
This blog will document my research into whether or not any of the "classic plastic" is worth any money, or if I should just give it away.  I plan on looking into where I can sell this stuff, like used cd/record stores, or online dealers, or eBay.  I'm curious as to what the prices would amount to if I were to go out and buy all this stuff today.  That way I can see if there is any potential value into what I have.  Should I sell the systems and games together as sets, or piece-meal everything out individually?  Is it going to be worth any potential effort?  Can I make some serious money here?  I will soon find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or an idea? Feel free to comment!